[ianatransition] Missing link [was Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 20:20:15 UTC 2014

Hi Alissa,

On 03/08/2014 05:34, Alissa Cooper wrote:
> I can only speak for the IETF, where we have 7000+ RFCs that have been
> produced over the span of decades via an input-gathering and
> consensus-building process that has engaged participants from most
> countries in the world. I’m guessing the RIRs could provide information
> about their processes as well.

This is a vital point.

Whast seems clear to me is that both the IETF and the RIR communities
have consistently, over the years, followed the same principle,
summarised in the IETF mission as "make the Internet work better".
This is why those two communities have a sound working relationship
with ICANN and IANA, where disagreements never really escalate into
disputes, accountability is mutual, appeals to third parties are
never needed, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really does apply.

I don't mean this to sound complacent: it's a hard won result.

Root zone operations are in a similar place.

I don't see any equivalent in the TLD policy space, which has been
dominated by selfishness, money-grubbing and politics. The transition
that we really need is to a consensus to "make the Internet work better"
there too. IMHO the TLD "community" has some work to do. Hopefully
they will bring a decent proposal to the ICG.

    Brian