[ianatransition] separation and accountability

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Aug 3 08:49:16 UTC 2014

Seun Ojedeji wrote:

> sent from Google nexus 4
> kindly excuse brevity and typos.
> On 2 Aug 2014 09:27, "Avri Doria" <avri at acm.org <mailto:avri at acm.org>>
> wrote:
> >

> > So not only does IETF get the bulk of its funding, via ISOC, from the
> > contributions of PIR's (.org) registrants, it gets its service for free
> > based on registrant fees paid to ICANN though the Registrar and Registry
> > pass-through.  IETF is somewhat dependent, in a financial sense, on
> > ICANN its polices, its panels and its continued good will.  That is a
> > lot of trust.
> >
> Hello Avri, i like to get into your head to understand you if you
> don't mind ;)
> Are you saying because IETF enjoy some freebies from ICANN makes it
> not as independent enough to police ICANN? If yes is there really any
> independent body that can perform such role without some funding sources.

Not sure what Avri is saying, but I'd make a different point, if related:

The NTIA contract ties the funding mechanisms together - i.e., the
"freebies" IETF receives are [authorized|directed|enforced] by the NTIA
contract.  It's the contract that basically says: "you have to perform
all of the IANA functions, not just those that generate revenue."

If/when that contract goes away, it might be nice if whatever replaces
it maintains that connection.

Miles Fidelman