[ianatransition] separation and accountability

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Aug 3 10:59:37 UTC 2014

On Aug 3, 2014, at 5:16 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> On a side note, reading the mou again I must say IETF have really done their homework for their part of IANA

Actually, the IETF appears to have done their homework for the entire IANA, and simply
carved out to allow for policy development for the "Two particular assigned spaces"
which "present policy issues in addition to the technical considerations specified by
the IETF: the assignment of domain names, and the assignment of IP address blocks."

The RIRs have done some measures in this area via the NRO/ICANN agreement but
these predominantly cover the interface between the RIRs and ICANN with respect to
the global policy development role, as opposed to the IANA publication role.  It remains
 unclear if any further work on the publication side is actually necessary (as opposed to
simply clarifying the scope of the existing agreements) given that the general-purpose
registry entries from the RIR community are subsets of the full address protocol space.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.