[ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Aug 4 16:25:19 UTC 2014

On Aug 4, 2014, at 11:53 AM, Richard Hill <rhill at hill-a.ch> wrote:

> If there were immunity of jurisdiction (or something equivalent) and the
> IANA function were strictly limited to implementing decisions taken
> elsewhere (as it is now), then indeed the IANA function properly speaking
> should not be political (in an ideal world).

Agreed - I believe that immunity of jurisdiction is one option (but share
Michael Froomkin's concerns regarding potential loss of the rather useful
ability for legal redress)  I also believe that an IANA which has loci of
operations in two or more dispersed locations could provide some level of
protection with respect to ad-hoc changes; the various registry communities
are quite capable of detecting such changes and switching to a locus that
is operating properly.

> But there still would be a political issue regarding the decisions, so the
> discussion would just take place at a different level.

That may be true, but we cannot discuss everything at once in any case,
and handling questions in the proper context can make for more productive
discussions.

/John

Disclaimer: My views alone.