[ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Richard Hill rhill at hill-a.ch
Mon Aug 4 17:21:37 UTC 2014

Dear John,

You raise a new idea which is surely worth exploring.  If I understand you
correctly, the idea is to use the well-known concept of redundancy to
protect against failure, the failure in this case being capture by a
national court system.

Indeed running parallel (redundant) IANA functions in more that one
jurisdiction could mitigate that risk.

But I don't think that two would be enough (because if one is captured, that
leaves only one, which could tempt the second state to also capture it).  I
think that you need three, or at least 2.5, where the ".5" would be a cold
backup site.

By cold backup I mean a site in a third jurisdiction that has offices,
hardware, and whatever other facilities are required for the IANA function
and that could become operational within 1-2 days by flying staff out of the
captured jurisdiction and into the cold backup site.

It remains to be seen if such a solution would be considered politically
acceptable, given the history of this debate, in particular if one of the
operational sites remains in the US.

Best,
Richard