[ianatransition] Jurisdiction (was Composition of the ICG)

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Aug 5 01:11:24 UTC 2014

Since I've seen mere conference venue arguments go on endlessly with
great amounts of divisiveness and bitterness I can't help but wonder
about the (f)utility of "what country should ICANN and/or IANA be
re-located to?".

By what process would one even begin to decide something like this?

Nominations and a vote? Solicited proposals? An RFP? Applause-o-meter?

Who would have the authority? I suppose the ICANN board could move the
corporation and IANA along with it if it were an ICANN function.

I have no idea who could move IANA alone.

Right now, in the midst of this transition, it just seems like a huge
distraction. I suppose some see that as the ideal moment.

Kurt Vonnegut once said something like: In every litigation there is a
magic moment when neither party owns the property in question. It is
at that moment attorneys get their fees.

Or, paraphrased, policy makers can change the venue.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada