[ianatransition] Coordination Group Charter, Public Comments

Mike Roberts mmr at darwin.ptvy.ca.us
Sun Aug 17 19:09:53 UTC 2014

FWIW, I don’t believe this post belongs on this list.

(1)  Several months of discussion have evolved to a consensus, rough type, that Internet Governance (Big I, big G) issues are not part of the IANA transition.  Both have their appropriate venues.  (See suggestions in Wolfgang’s post of yesterday.) There seems to be a small but continuing effort to marry the two, possibly for some sort of perceived political leverage.

(2) This post manages to mix up a slew of issues into an unpalatable stew.  The ICG has enough on its plate without adding to the menu.  IANA has been, is now, and - with the help of the technical community around it, will remain - an effective technical enterprise with important operational responsibilities involving billions of transactions per day.  The last thing it needs is "global stakeholders such as international organizations and prominent NGOs,” whose absence of competence to be involved is self-evident, whstever their many other good qualities may be.

(3) On the 1net list and elsewhere, endless accountability discussions have evolved to nothing resembling a new, robust, legally grounded, and broadly supported oversight structure for ICANN.    The rhetoric of this post hardly encourages one that such a solution is near.

(4)  Some of us might hope that ICG would confine itself to finding that:  (a) no changes in the current administrative, technical or operational aspects of IANA are needed or desirable; and (b) to the extent that revisions to the existing oversight structure for ICANN are needed to encompass the absence of the NTIA contract, they can be dealt with through the AoC activities previously commissioned by NTIA.

- Mike