[ICANN Academy WG] WG: post to list regarding pilot SO/AC Leadership training in Toronto

Rumy Kanis rumy at ripe.net
Thu Jul 5 11:02:43 UTC 2012

Hello,

I don't have much to say about the process and where responsibilities lie and who should be in charge of what. I have no beef in this, apart from the time I am investing in this project.

What I can contribute to this discussion is this:

If some kind of program needs to be ready by Toronto, the work on the content needs to start soon. Actually it should already have started. We run about 80 face-to-face courses per year and I can say from experience that developing good training material is extremely time consuming.

Just to give an overview of all the work that needs to be done:

- curriculum and method need to be further developed and agreed on
- formulation of learning goals
- slide/material development and review
- instructor notes (this is crucial if content/slides are not developed by the instructors themselves)
- student notes (printouts/handouts? prerequisites?)
- selection of instructors
- training/preparation of instructors

Other things to consider are:
- course maintenance and quality control
how will the material be maintained after the pilot? The industry we work in is a fast changing one, so proper course maintenance is important.
- evaluation and quality control
how will the effectiveness of the program and instructors be controlled and measured?

I don't want to rain on anyones parade (I don't even know whose parade it is anyway;-), but to be honest I have no idea how this can all be done before Toronto if we (or staff, or whoever) haven't even gone past the first step of the curriculum development.

Kind regards,
Rumy

--
Rumy Spratley-Kanis
Training Services Manager

Follow us on Twitter for the fastest and latest RIPE NCC Training news!
@TrainingRIPENCC