[ICANN Academy WG] WG: post to list regarding pilot SO/AC Leadership training in Toronto

sandra hoferichter info at hoferichter.eu
Thu Jul 5 14:05:44 UTC 2012

Dear all, thank you all for moving the discussion forward and sorry for the
delay from my side, after Prague I am overwhelmed with urgencies.

First of all I like to underline what Sébastien pointed out - In the FY13
Operating Plan and Budget document it is stated:

<<<"The ICANN-Academy concept is still being developed and reviewed within
the SO-AC groups and further consensus is ongoing though a process led by
ALAC / At-Large. While this process is ongoing, in early anticipation of the
direction of the effort, a staff pilot project will be focused on the
executive training of new SO-AC leaders on ICANN organisations, policymaking
and related activities. The pilot would include usage of online tools where
possible and an orientation session in Toronto. This pilot project should be
seen as a first step in testing the overall concept and providing a basis
for a future training program as well as experience to build on for future
improvements if deemed necessary. ">>>

It is obvious that the discussion on the concept with all other SO-AC has
just started. At the moment it is only an At-Large proposal and not adopted
by the broader ICANN community, but affecting the community budget. I
learned during the process that different stakeholder groups have different
needs, which must be accommodated in a concept which deserves the name
“ICANN Academy” so therefore I consider it a chance that formally the ICANN
Academy proposal has been declined, but on the other hand the effort is
going to be developed in a first pilot project.

Nevertheless the modular pyramid concept goes back to a very early stage of
the ICANN Academy proposal, before we focused on the leadership training
only. Because it is not a closed concept it offers the unique opportunity to
build in different modules, to meet the needs for different stakeholder
groups in the future. This must be discussed and developed by the expanded
WG not by At-Large only.

Many modules are in place already and have been proven successful (for
instance the fellowship programme), whilst others are missing (like the
leadership programme or an advanced online training).  But this must be
discussed and developed now.

Therefore I see the tasks of this expanded WG now as:
1. to agree on the curriculum proposed by At-Large and modify it (short term
goal)
2. to review the pilot project taking place in Toronto (mid term goal)
3. to work on an inclusive concept for an ICANN Academy (long term goal)

When I read: ".... in early anticipation of the direction of the effort, a
staff pilot project will be focused on the executive training of new SO-AC
leaders on ICANN organisations, policymaking and related activities..." I
understand the clear message that what has been and will be developed within
our WG will feed into the pilot project and future efforts. So far the
collaboration with ICANN staff in this project was outstanding. I have no
fear that this will change by implementing the pilot.

I assume the confusion, with many of us have left the meeting in Prague,
came up because the decision on the budget has just been taken the weekend
before and the roadmap was not clear jet.

Let me know if you have doubts or comments.

Best Sandra