[ICANN-CSC] March 2017 exception - technical check (retest)

Elise Gerich elise.gerich at iana.org
Sat May 6 17:34:37 UTC 2017

Dear CSC members,

During the CSC’s review of the IANA Naming function’s performance in March 2017, PTI indicated that it was investigating the technical check (retest) exception to determine the root cause.

After analyzing detailed logging for the impacted request, we identified part of the technical check process that was unnecessarily repeating certain nameserver queries during the iterative lookup process. In the normal case this would not happen. However, incorrectly configured TLD nameservers could return responses that would trigger this behavior. In this case, due to some misconfigured TLD nameservers, it took longer than necessary for the test process to come to a result. A patch to our Root Zone Management System has been developed and tested to take this scenario into account, and was deployed on Friday 5 May 2017.

Best regards,
  --Elise

Elise Gerich
President | PTI