[ICANN-CSC] Agenda: CSC November Meeting 25, Friday, 16 November, 19:00-21:00 UTC

Amy Creamer amy.creamer at icann.org
Tue Nov 13 20:41:47 UTC 2018

Hi Allan,

Thank you for your questions.  I’ll address the 3 main questions from your email, but will need to perform some more internal consultation before responding to your notes and questions within the SLA Change process document:

Item 1 -RAPS:  I included milestones for the RAPs simply because this is another activity we would like to finalize and bring to closure. It has no dependencies on the SLA processes.  I can remove those milestones to their own chart to reduce confusion.

Item 2 – IANA Naming Function Contract Change approval.  To clarify any confusion:

The IANA Naming Function Contract can be amended in three ways:

(1)     For items defined as “Material Terms” to the Contract, in Section 16.3 (a) of the ICANN Bylaws, by agreement of ICANN and PTI, subject to a rejection right of the majority of each of the ccNSO and GNSO Councils.

(2)     For all other items, by written agreement of ICANN and PTI (Section 14.3 of the Contract); or

(3)     Unilateral change by ICANN in alignment with an IFR/Special IFR/SCWG Recommendation (Section 7.3 of the Contract).

As the anticipated change is not within the Material Terms, and this change is not out of an IFR, this amendment is properly effectuated through written agreement of ICANN and PTI.  There is no requirement in the ICANN or PTI Bylaws, or in the Contract, that the CSC has an approval right over amendments.

Of course, ICANN and PTI both recognize that the CSC has an interest in understanding that the Contract is being changed in the way that ICANN and PTI have agreed it would be, and the effect of that change is appropriate.  ICANN is in the process of finalizing the exact text of an amendment that will do the following things:  (1) amend Annex A at Section 2 to remove the SLA tables that currently exist; (2) amend the language that is currently at Section 2.g to identify that the SLA tables will be maintained at a specific website, and that those tables may only be modified through the SLA Change Process, which will also be maintained at a specific website.  ICANN will provide that text to the CSC as it is available, and in advance of the public comment.  If the CSC has fundamental concerns over the form of the amendment, we encourage the CSC to flag those concerns for ICANN and PTI.  ICANN also encourages the CSC to participate in the public comment process.

Item 3 - “ICANN can direct PTI to initiate a SLA change request” is a reference to the IANA Naming Functions contract which specifies requirements for PTI to notify and consult with ICANN.  This is added in support of the earlier text in the document that “None of the requirements in the process for amending IANA Naming SLAs override any obligations within the IANA Naming Functions Contract.”

Regards,

Amy Creamer

GDD Strategic Project Manager

Global Domains Division (GDD)