[ICANN-CSC] [Ext] Re: May 2019 IANA Naming Function Performance Report

Naela Sarras naela.sarras at iana.org
Wed Jun 12 16:47:10 UTC 2019

Dear Brett,

Thank you for your email. The request you pointed out is a recently completed transfer request for a ccTLD.

A ccTLD transfer or creation request is one of the more complex processes we work on. The process is documented here: https://www.iana.org/help/cctld-delegation.

In the case of a transfer request where the ccTLD is transitioning from one entity to a completely new one, the process requires that the requester submit documentation demonstrating how the request meets a number of criteria such as technical and administrative competency of the proposed operator, consent of the current operator, a transition plan that ensures a stable transfer of the TLD, among several other criteria. This information is then distilled into a report that is reviewed by the ICANN Board before the request is ready for implementation. The total time for staff to complete this process is 60 calendar days.

As you already pointed out, this is exactly the topic of discussion we are having now at the CSC. The quality of submissions vary greatly, and we rarely receive a request where all the criteria is met and the request is ready to proceed. The process is very iterative and there are typically multiple rounds of receiving documentation, reviewing it, pointing out what is missing, waiting for the answers then repeat. The proposal we will be discussing today and going forward with the community looks at this iterative nature and tries to see if there are ways to improve how this measurement is done.

Hope this is helpful. Happy to discuss it more at the meeting.

Thank you,

Naela Sarras

Director, IANA Operations

Office: +1 310 301 5819