[IDN-WG] Fwd: [At-Large] Can anyone surf to peking university?

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:41:38 EDT 2009

Hello

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Eduardo A. Suárez <
esuarez at fcaglp.fcaglp.unlp.edu.ar> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can reach
>
> http://&#21271;&#20140;&#22823;&#23398;.cn/

The URL looks strange, it doesn't work.

> and
>
> http://www.pku.edu.cn/
>
> The correct Punycode is xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.cn so the URL will be
> http://xn--1lq90ic7fzpc.cn/

These URL's work. The issue is not whether Peking University's website is
accessible, the issue is that of China maintaining its own national root,
and its cabability to shut down access of the domain names under its control
for the rest of the world. Whether or not this issue concerning the URL of
the Peking University is accurately reported or not, the underlying issue is
valid.

(As an update of the message in the at-Large list, now cross posted at the
Internet Governace Caucus mailing list, Joe Baptista actually has made some
anti-ICANN statements, and makes a bizarre suggestion that each nation
should maintain its own root away from ICANN. He says that it is also his
comment to NTIA.. He is receiving fitting responses that are interesting)

IDN policy development, in this context, may have to pay attention to the
importance of preserving the root server infrastructure as globally
accessible and not give any room for any possibility of alternate root or
restricted or restrictable DNS infrastructure that could make it possible
for a whole script or region being shut down for the rest of the world.

Sivasubramanian M.