[IDN-WG] ALAC Response to the VIP Proposed Project Plan and Next Steps

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Apr 11 10:14:36 UTC 2012

Thank you very much for this follow-up Rinalia.

I would just add a couple of notes which I have also recognized on the
call:
- the ALAC's concerns regarding following a standard path vs. looking at
each variant case in turn appear to be already taken into account
according to some of the comments made by Dennis Jennings. So it appears
that each variant type will be studied separately, along with its own
timeline, rather than a one-size-fits-all scenario
- the point of timing issues which the ALAC is concerned with, appears
to have already been echoed by other commenters and to be taken into
account, with an amended time-line which would bring forth some of the
segments allocated to 2013, to an earlier start.

I personally find the matters of pointing out communities readiness to
implement IDN variant very important indeed. It is one thing to approach
such implementation in a top-down manner, but another to allow for
communities desiring to work on their variants, to be pro-actively able
to engage ICANN in rolling out IDN variants for their script. Thanks for
pointing this out, it's an excellent point.

Thanks for your draft which we can work on, in an accelerated procedure.
May I suggest that comments/discussion takes place according to the
following schedule:

*Call for comments closing time*: Wednesday 18 April 2012 @ 23:59 UTC --
that gives it 1 week from today. If this group reaches consensus before
this deadline, all the better & the statement can be submitted
*Statement to be submitted*:  Friday 20 April 2012
*ALAC Vote starts*: Friday 20 April at 20:00 UTC and ends on 27 April @
23:59 UTC
*Vote reminder on*: 25 April @ 0:00 UTC

So the clock is ticking.

I have also made a copy of your draft & added it to the relevant Wiki
policy development page. (and also updated the new start/end date for
the public comment)
This is on: https://community.icann.org/x/jp-bAQ

In order to have a way to track things, may WG members (and any other
commenters) use the Wiki's "comment" feature, please?
As a reminder, if you do not have a log-in for the WIKI, please ask one
from staff at atlarge.icann.org . In the meantime, you may also comment
without logging in -- just you identify yourself in your response so as
for it to become a comment from more than an anonymous user.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD