[IDN-WG] Interim Report IDN ccNSO Policy Development Process

JJS jjs.global at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 02:26:22 UTC 2013

*Dear Rinalia,*
*
*thank you for drawing attention to this. Having had an indirect connection
with ccNSO matters (as Chair of the ccNSO Review), I'd like to offer 2
comments:*
*
*
*- At this stage, I don't have any definitive view about whether there
should be an ALAC response or not. The nature of the issue will certainly
cause many people to leave comments, and these may or may not include a
vigorous defense of the global public interest. If the latter were lacking,
or insufficient, then ALAC should step in.*
*
*
*- I'd like to make sure that the system remains open and fair, for
instance between states sharing the same language(s), e.g. Arabic or
Chinese. The issue is not unlike the one in the IDN Variants debate, where
there was a tendency for certain states to claim (and act as if) a language
or a script was theirs alone, forcing others to accept their national
norms. It's quite possible that this problem may not arise, or that it has
been settled. Do you share my concern?*
*
*
*Best regards,*