[Idngwg] ICANN 57 summary and resuming calls for IDNGWG

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at icann.org
Sun Nov 20 08:19:26 UTC 2016

Dear All,

For those at ICANN 57, hope you have arrived home safely, rested and caught up with work.

We had a good interaction at ICANN 57, where the room was full with community members.  Thanks to Edmon for leading the session and for others for attending the session in person and remotely.

We received feedback from the community.    Here are some salient comments received (for those who attended, please feel free to add further).  Please see the attached transcript <http://schd.ws/hosted_files/icann572016/1c/I57%20HYD_Sat05Nov2016-IDN%20Implementation%20Guidelines%20WG%20Meeting-en.pdf>  of the session for details.

-          Repertoire may contain code points AND code point sequences.  So recommendations should be worded accordingly

-          Align definitions of label dispositions with those in RFC 7940 and clarify the label disposition state changes

-          Use of LGR (as a black box) should be explained in the guidelines to generate disposition and variants of a label

-          The relationship to root zone LGR and scope of guidelines may be clarified.  Can anything be said for root zone LGR, i.e. how second level and root level LGRs are same or different?

o   We clarify how a particular point may be different at second level, from the root zone, in order to actually clarify the second level handling of that issue.

o   And if there are two LGRs that are in the same zone, even if it’s in the second level, they may have some harmonization requirements that are not really optional for a workable and secure system, which is different from parallel TLDs; Definition of a variant of a code point is unique and shared across all LGRs within a zone (within a single TLD)

We would now like to resume our calls.  I will schedule on for the coming week.

Regards,
Sarmad