[Idngwg] "will" versus "must" or "should"

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Thu Jan 5 17:10:23 UTC 2017

Following up our brief discussion earlier today on this subject. Food for thought about the use of the word “will” instead of “must” or “should” in previous version of the guidelines. The term “will” was the preferred word in version 2.2. as well. Here is an excerpt about the subject:

“The IDN Guidelines have no direct conformance implications with respect to the IDN standards that they reference. The term "will" is not to be read as it would be in a formal normative instrument. Although the IDN Guidelines apply directly to the gTLD registries, they are intended to be suitable for implementation in other registries on all levels. Any areas in the present wording that lack clarity will be corrected in the successor Best Current Practices document.”

Since these are guidelines (i.e. recommendations or advice) to registries and registrars of all sorts, the choice of word was perhaps intentional so that it doesn’t alienate parties that are not bound to them like gTLDs are. ccTLDs and third-level registries may find the terms “must” or “should” too strong and thus they may dismiss the guidelines altogether.

I know we discussed incorporating the use of MUST, SHOULD or MAY per RFC 2119. Maybe we want to revisit this.

My two cents.
Dennis