[Idngwg] Summary of Meeting on 16 Feb. 2017

Edmon Chung edmon at registry.asia
Thu Feb 23 01:55:13 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

Please find below a rough draft on the IDN Variant Labels activation section.

It is a bit worded, but hopefully captures the many considerations that should be taken into consideration.

Due to travel shuffling, I may only be able to join the first half of today's meeting (will try to stay on as long as possible).

Edmon

2.6 IDN Variant Labels

13.

Only IDN Variant Labels with a disposition of "allocatable" may be included in the DNS.  IDN Variant Labels must only be delegated into the DNS ("activated") as requested by the registrant (or corresponding registrar), except in rare cases where a registry-side approach is explicitly expressed in the IDN policies for a particular language/script.

In such cases, the registry must carefully take into consideration the security and stability impacts: 1. as advised in the relevant documents from SSAC (https://www.icann.org/groups/ssac/documents); 2. different user experience perspectives as explained in the document "Examining the User Experience Implications of Active Variant TLDs" (https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/active-ux-21mar13-en.pdf); 3. the IDN Variant Issues Project: Final Integrated Issues Report (https://www.icann.org/en/topics/idn/idn-vip-integrated-issues-final-clean-20feb12-en.pdf); 4. the IDN policies and LGRs adopted by the relevant respective language communities; as well as 5. the evidenced operational experiences from such communities, before implementing any IDN policy that includes registry-side activation of IDN Variant Labels.

For example, the Chinese Domain Name Consortium (http://www.cdnc.org/), the related informational RFC on preferred variants relevant to the Han script (RFC3743: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3743.txt) and the Report on Chinese Variants in Internationalized Top-Level Domains (https://archive.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/chinese-vip-issues-report-03oct11-en.pdf).