[Internal-cg] Charter commenting

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Fri Aug 1 17:25:03 UTC 2014

I had sent this in the email about updated deadlines, but did not receive
any feedback about it:

== Charter ==
Originally I think we were hoping to have received all charter comments
roughly by Aug 1. Mohamed has made a proposal that we setup an explicit
mechanism to solicit community feedback on the charter and announce a
clear deadline for comments. I have not seen anyone oppose this proposal.
So my suggestion is that I work with the secretariat to get an email alias
(not a mailing list) up and running where community members can send
comments if they are not able to convey them via an ICG member (which I
still think is the preferred approach in general for charter comments).
Comments sent to this alias would be directly reflected on a web page that
we can setup. Assuming we can get this working by July 31, I suggest that
we announce an Aug 8 deadline for charter comments. This is not a lengthy
period of time but I think we had a general sense that it’s most important
to get the broad outlines of the charter right rather than spending weeks
on the details, so hopefully this will be sufficient.
=============

Alice has suggested that we could use a forum for this purpose, similar to
the ones listed here: <http://forum.icann.org/lists/>. We could publish an
announcement page that says that we are accepting public comments on the
ICG charter, what the deadline is, a link to the charter, a link to the
email alias to be used for comment submission, and a link to the forum
page where comments will appear.

Should we do this?

How long of a comment period should we have? (I would say 7-10 days max,
assuming we’re interested in major substantive comments and not lots of
detailed nits.)

Should we give any guidance about what kind of feedback we’re looking for?

Thanks,