[Internal-cg] Charter commenting

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Aug 2 22:04:25 UTC 2014

I tend to agree with Patrik, though I am less worried about "various people."

I think the chartering is just a first step to get the ICG going, and the basic role of the ICG is implicit in the documents and processes underlying its creation. The charter simply makes it all explicit. Our task is to get the thing going and not to spend 20% of our hopefully short lifespan discussing and debating our own charter. Unless we get serious and sustained objections to specific aspects of the draft from a broad spectrum of commentators from existing channels, I think we move ahead and reach consensus on the charter ourselves. I put the charter before my nominating group (the NCSG0 some time ago, and haven't heard any objections and have heard general satisfaction. GNSO people have a LOT of other things to comment upon, including the all-important CCWG that will develop a proposal for names, and imposing another comment period on the community when there is no indication that the draft charter is controversial or that the people on the ICG who drafted it are seriously misaligned with the wishes of their nominating communities strikes me as a waste of time.

--MM