[Internal-cg] Chair structure.

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Thu Aug 7 08:01:28 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

as announced yesterday, I am now forwarding a proposal that the ALAC has developed for the Chair structure of our group.

As you remember, in London the ALAC representatives were among the first to support the enlargement of the GAC contingent from 2 to 5, while ensuring that the ALAC, as a token of its commitment to keep the size of our group close to what it was, would not seek a similar privilege for itself.

The ALAC's call for implementing the decision taken in London (3 Co-Chairs) was based on stated principles: diversity, adequate representation, fairness. While maintaining these principles, the ALAC is keen to help our process along by proposing a new structure, incorporating these principles as well as some elements discussed online since the London meeting.

Here is the ALAC proposal:

- Chair + 4 Vice-Chairs, these 5 being from the 5 different regions (as per ICANN practice).

- No region or citizenship may occupy more than one of these positions. There shall be no automatic entitlement of any region to the position of Chair.

- Process:
  - Interim Chair is requested to launch a call for candidates for the 5 positions on the leadership team. It is suggested that these should reach Interim Chair by Monday 11 August at 23:59 UTC.
  - Interim Chair would then publish the list of candidates, each with her/his relevant data (full name, business or other affiliation, organization represented, region, citizenship), and set a date for the vote.
  - The result of the vote to be published immediately, and the new leadership to convene as soon as possible.

In order to ensure adequate representation of the global Internet user community, Jean-Jacques Subrenat (European region, citizen of France) has decided to withdraw his candidacy for the position of Co-Chair, and is nominating Mohamed El-Bashir (African region, citizen of Sudan) for Vice-Chair. Mohamed has accepted to be nominated, and his candidacy is endorsed by the ALAC.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.