[Internal-cg] Consensus building process

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Fri Aug 15 00:05:03 UTC 2014

I think I have the opposite opinion on this. I think letting any group
continue to object still allows the hold-out problem to cause us to result
in deadlock. I think it would be preferable to set a deadline at which the
final recommendation level designation will be made, and at that point if
there are minority opinions, from a group or from an individual, those
should be documented and published along with the main document. I don’t
think any other option safeguards us from deadlock, whether it be
inflicted by a group or an individual. And in particular for the case of
sending a transition plan to NTIA, I don’t think deadlock is an option.

Moreover, I don’t see how the “recommended method for discovering the
recommendation level designation,” as outlined in Wolf-Ulrich’s draft,
necessarily terminates. Step (iii) seems to allow individuals to make the
process go in a circle repeatedly by objecting to the recommendation
designation. Step (iv) discusses the use of polls, but does not specify
how they should be used to arrive at a final outcome.

Also, the document does not specify how consensus should be determined
within our different modalities of communication — email, conference call,
in person. Can we set comment periods with deadlines and, with no
objections raised, make a recommendation designation via this mailing
list? Can we do the same on a voice call — ask for objections and, hearing
none, proceed? Can we hum when we’re in person? ;) Do we need to confirm
hums on the mailing list (this is what we do in the IETF)? From an
operational perspective, I was hoping this document would provide answers
to these questions.

I think it would also be helpful for the document to describe what is
meant by “non-substantive” issues. From my perspective, I have no problem
with us moving fairly quickly to a vote on personnel matters — chairs, who
we choose for the secretariat, who will speak to the press, etc. — and
deciding by simple majority. For documents we have to agree to publish or
send (including the transition plan), I think we need a method that we
know will terminate for agreeing on a recommendation level designation,
and that allows for dissenting opinions to be simultaneously published.
Those are the only two categories that I think we need.

Finally, I think the most we can require as far as participation levels
(quorum for decision-making) is simple majority. This is a volunteer
activity, people will be busy at various times, and there may be some
decisions where certain ICG participants have reasons for not engaging in
the discussion. We shouldn’t set a standard for participation that we
might not be able to meet.

Alissa