[Internal-cg] Subject lines and Silence was RE: Consensus building process

Narelle Clark narelle.clark at accan.org.au
Fri Aug 15 08:26:47 UTC 2014

[I'm sorry to add to the procedural/working methods topics. Most of them I consider 'bike shed' items.]

As we all know silence comes from several sources:
- attention elsewhere (for whatever project related/unrelated/good/bad reason)
- everything needed to be said has been said by others
- irrelevant/low priority item
- missed/lost item

I want to mention the last option right now as I am finding the volume of mail is swamping things on the list that actually need my attention.

Can I please therefore request a couple of norms:
- adjusting the subject line when the topic shifts
- prepending the subject with some useful tags eg: URG=urgent, ACT=requires action, VOTE=vote required, FYI...

That way I know if there is a time sensitive, urgent action required, and don't have to unpick it from a mail trail.

> Based on our current track record as a group,
> everything will end up in a doodle poll.  At the end of the day, perhaps we
> need to publish statistics on who's participating in the process?  None of us
> were nominated to be mere observers, and if the will of the group in
> question is not to have an opinion on a specific topic, then they should say
> so.  If they need more time for consultation they should say so.  If they
> agree or disagree, or have comments, they should say so in a timely basis.
> Silence is very counterproductive....  Old whine in a new post :-)

Your idea of timely is in a vastly different time zone to me. Some mornings I find 20 posts in a thread.

Repeating other well-worded posts on a topic adds to the noise, not the signal within this group.

This does not mean a lack of participation, either now or in the future.

Also, if topics are not clearly broken out from mail trails/threads they are buried.

Narelle

--

Narelle Clark
Director of Operations - Deputy CEO

Australian Communications
Consumer Action Network
Suite 402
Level 4, 55 Mountain St
Ultimo NSW 2007
Ph: 02 9288 4000
Direct: +61 2 9288 4007
Fax: 02 9288 4019
TTY: 02 9281 5322

Follow us on twitter @ACCAN_AU    –   Sign up for our weekly WebNews   –   Visit our website

The information contained in or attached to this message is intended only
for the people it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, disclosure or copying of this information is unauthorised and
prohibited. This information may be confidential or subject to legal
privilege. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the e-mail and any attachments. The Australian
Communications Consumer Action Network does not warrant
that the information in this e-mail or any attachments are free from any
viruses, defects, errors, interception or interference.