[Internal-cg] Further RFP revision

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Aug 22 15:04:04 UTC 2014

Alas, there are still some unresolved issues here.

I still have to insist that the first and second paragraphs contain language that cover the same topic, but provide different meanings and thus open to door to conflicting interpretations that could cause us trouble. We need to choose one or the other of the meanings and delete the other.

Here is an exegesis:

From the middle of paragraph 1:

"Other parties may provide comments to the ICG on particular aspects that may be covered by proposals that may be of significant interest to them, for review by the ICG as time and resources permit. The ICG will direct comments received from other parties to the relevant operational communities as appropriate."

Paragraph 2:

"During the development of their proposals, the operational communities are expected to consult and work with other affected parties; likewise, other affected parties are strongly encouraged to participate in community processes, as the ICG is requiring proposals that have consensus support from a broad range of stakeholder groups."

My view is that the material from paragraph 1 must be deleted so as to not confuse people and undermine the message in paragraph 2.

As it is written now, the material in paragraph 1 invites parties to provide "comments" to us on "proposals" (note the _plural_ form) that are being considered by the operational communities. To me, this seems to invite people to provide ongoing commentary on the ideas being considered by the operational communities as they develop a proposal or consider alternatives. That is not what we want. We want finished, agreed proposals.

Paragraph 2 is much clearer about what we want. It "strongly encourages" affected parties to participate in the operational community process for the same of "consensus support from a broad range of...groups," but it does not completely close the door to the receipt of finished alternative proposals where consensus is not possible.

I really think that section of paragraph 1 and paragraph 2 are articulating separate models of response and we cannot allow the RFP to be released with such a critical ambiguity in it.

I also made a few minor changes, related to labeling IIA as Policy source and the second bullet point under IIB

I also responded to Martin's comments about his nervousness. My point is that various proposals might come up with different ways of excluding or separating policy from IANA implementation. Since we can’t use the existing method (NTIA contract) to do so, this section is simply asking them to explain the implications of their changes for existing policy arrangements. However, we may be able to finesse this issue, because it says almost the same thing as bullet point 2 in section II B. So do we need it at all?

Finally, a word about "testing." I don't know what kind of a parallel universe the rest of you live in, but in the world I have become familiar with as a social scientist, there is no "testing" of legal and institutional accountability arrangements. We can project or estimate based on past experience, but that is all. If there are technical and operational changes called for by a proposal, yes, we can talk about pre-testing them in some kind of laboratory set up. But asking people to "test" what will happen if the NTIA is not there and some other accountability mechanism is, is asking for the impossible. So I have altered the language to deal with this.