[Internal-cg] FW: Further RFP revision

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Aug 22 20:07:23 UTC 2014

Joe,
Here I think we need to distinguish between actual proposals, which the RFP solicits and attempts to structure, and public comments on the proposal(s) that we put together.

E.g., when you talk about a group addressing "a specific issue of interest such as accountability", it sounds to me like you are talking about people reacting to specific proposals that have actually been made. In that case, they can review the proposals and assess the adequacy with which they address, say, the accountability issue, and submit comments during the public comment period accordingly.

What I fear is that your current language will encourage groups to inundate the ICG with comments like "We think accountability is important and ICANN needs more of it" BEFORE any proposals have actually been made - as if WE were the ones developing the proposal. We cannot do anything with such comments. Either people concoct and propose specific institutional, legal and operational changes that enhance accountability (in which case they are helping to develop a proposal) or they are just expressing opinions, which is only helpful to us if these opinions are about specific proposals that we have before us.

Do you understand my concern here?
--MM