[Internal-cg] Document naming strategy

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Wed Aug 27 12:32:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have watched the naming convention people have been using of their documents.

I suggest the following, which I think is very close to what has been in use:

During development of a document:

The person responsible for the document do now and then create new (clean) versions, and those have the name:

Example: Whatever-Issue-v3.doc

Format: <topic>-<subtopic (if needed)>-v<N>.<type>

If people comment they can do one of two things:

a. Add initials to the filename and save as new file:

Example: Whatever-Issue-v3-paf.doc

Format: <topic>-<subtopic (if needed)>-v<N>-<initials>.<type>

Or:

Example: Whatever-Issue-v3-paf-ac.doc

Format: <topic>-<subtopic (if needed)>-v<N>-<initials>.<type>

b. Add things in the document with change markings on, save as same name

The document edited can be either the main one (latest version) or later version with initials.

Discussions on calls for example, or "last call", is on a document of a certain version (without the suffixes):

Example: Whatever-Issue-v3.doc

The final, approved, document is named without version number:

Example: Whatever-Issue.doc

It is the person being responsible for the document that should create new versions when needed.

We will ask the secretariat to (help the document manager, which is an ICG member) to keep track of versions of document, and rename if needed.

   Patrik Fältström