[Internal-cg] Proposed agenda for July 17-18

Narelle Clark narelle.clark at accan.org.au
Mon Jul 14 02:16:20 UTC 2014

I had same issue when using the text editor, reopened with MS Word and all line breaks were restored.

Viz a viz the agenda itself  - I like it as a great first start.

It was good to hear everyone at the telecon last Friday (Thurs for most I expect).

One of the things we discussed was the concept  of affirming the charter and scope of the group as well as the membership at the London meeting. It was pointed out that quite a bit of discussion has already preceded the formation of this group on those very topics and we run the risk of reopening and rehashing topics that have already been done to death.

As such, then, it would be good for us to review that discussion beforehand if at all possible, or at least to get a summary of the thinking behind it. Is anyone in a position to do that, or to point the rest of us to that discussion?

With respect to membership of the CG - here is my summary of the arguments at present.
We have had a request for an increase in membership and we discussed that briefly on the call. The logic being that if there is a group that strongly feels they will not have appropriate representation within the NISTCG (CG for short!) then ultimately their confidence in any consensus, should it be reached, will be lacking.

That argument has some merit, however, this group is large, and therefore unwieldy already. Would another three make any difference?
Someone pointed out that it is partly dependent on the role the group has: if it is more on co-ordinating inputs and corralling proposals, then surely two vs five also has merit either way.

My understanding at this stage is that ultimately we really have no intention of voting - thus numbers won't matter.

All in all - I am strongly swayed by the concept that another three won't make a lot of difference to our workings, and leaving them out may hamper broader acceptance of any proposals we might ultimately agree are best.

Narelle