[Internal-cg] Early draft for a charter

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Tue Jul 15 13:07:25 UTC 2014

Hi Milton,

I’m glad we are digging into the details on this. I can appreciate the
challenges in coming to consensus within the diverse names community. But
I think there are some major drawbacks in what you suggest, so I’d like to
probe on our options for addressing that challenge.

I believe there are actually two challenges with coming to consensus in
the names community: the diversity of views, and the lack of a
cross-community decision mechanism that is trusted, or at least
acknowledged, by all of the constituencies. My understanding is that
competing policy proposals often get developed within separate
constituencies, and since there is no cross-community decision mechanism,
decisions ultimately get bumped up to the board, which is far from ideal
for many reasons. For the IANA stewardship transition, I think the first
key question is what the cross-community decision mechanism will be. I
think such a mechanism is absolutely necessary.

You have suggested that the CG should be that mechanism. I think this is
problematic for a few reasons:

1. The CG contains members from outside the names community who, in my
opinion, should not be put in the position of having authority over the
transition plan substance for names. I count myself in that category — it
is not appropriate for me, as an appointee of the IETF, to look at three
different proposals for, say, transitioning oversight of ccTLDs, and
decide which one is “best.” I don’t even know on what basis I would
choose, and in any event it subjugates the agency of the relevant
community to have outsiders choosing their fate.

2. The problem described above is a show-stopper for protocol parameters.
That is, it will not be acceptable for the CG to modify the substance of
an IETF community consensus proposal for protocol parameters if the IETF
community produces such a proposal. The ultimate authority over the
substance of the protocol parameters proposal must reside with the IETF
community, not the CG. If the CG observes problems with any proposal it
receives from the IETF, the remedy for that is to send the proposal back
to the IETF community to get fixed, not to fix it ourselves.

3. If the core of the difficulty in the names community is that views are
so diverse as to be irreconcilable, I’m not sure I understand why the
subset of the CG reps from names organizations would be more likely to
agree on one proposal than would the organizations they represent. Sure,
there are fewer people in the CG than in the community, but that doesn’t
necessarily imply that their views are any less entrenched (not saying
that’s the case — I don’t know most of you or your views! — but just
making an observation).

4. NTIA has specified that the final transition proposal needs to have
broad community support. It’s not clear to me that, if presented with,
say, four different proposals from four different constituency groups, the
CG choosing one of them would actually result in a proposal that could be
claimed to have broad community support. Same goes for if we stitch
together pieces of different names proposals.

In light of the above, I’m wondering about other options for creating a
(somewhat) trusted cross-community decision mechanism for names. I can
think of at least two.

One idea would be to try to establish a single forum where all of the
constituent groups engage with each other and each others’ proposals.
Perhaps this could be the fledgling cross-community working group being
established right now, or if some groups do not trust that structure,
perhaps we in the CG could help to establish a neutral forum where this
discussion could be had and where some community-wide decision-taking
procedure could be established. Of course, depending on how that decision
procedure works, the views may be too diverse to achieve a solution with
broad community support, but better to make that attempt than have the
small CG group declare one proposal the winner.

A less preferable but perhaps still workable idea would be to establish a
subcommittee of the CG comprised of the reps from the various names
constituencies, and have that subcommittee serve as the decision function
that you described (or as the consensus-caller in the single forum
described above). This would eliminate problems #1 and #2 from the above
list, although it may still suffer from problems #3 and #4.

I will end this novel now. Looking forward to further discussion on the
list and in person.

Best,
Alissa