[Internal-cg] Narelle: on legitimacy

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jul 17 14:26:16 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: dryden_h at yahoo.ca [mailto:dryden_h at yahoo.ca]

> Some governments use the word "legitimate" to mean something requires government oversight.  Is that the intent?

No, definitely not the intent. But since the NTIA criteria rule out any arrangements based on governmental oversight, I don't think that misinterpretation should be a major factor limiting our use of the word legitimacy.

I would, however, say that we want as many governments as possible to accept our process, and its results, as 'legitimate' in the broader sense of acceptable, trusted, fair, etc.