[Internal-cg] statement Steve Crocker

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Feb 13 23:10:15 UTC 2015

Joe
When Steve read this at the ICANN Public Forum in Singapore, it sounded to me almost identical to the procedure we had already worked out with ICANN.

The only difference is that CCWG-Accountability* Work Stream 1 (WS1) output is mentioned. So, the only thing that could affect the timeline is that our final proposal must incorporate the WS1 recommendations of CCWG-Accountability - but those recommendations would come to us from the CWG-IANA, not directly from the CCWG-Accountability.

The need for the CWG-IANA to incorporate WS1 recommendations of CCWG-Accountability can only add delay, especially because ICANN's board effectively has the power to reject CCWG-Accountability recommendations in the name of 'the public interest.' During the same public forum, an ICANN board member (Bruce Tonkin) also said that CCWG recommendations that ICANN's board deemed not in 'the public interest' would not be altered, but would be sent back to the CCWG-Accountability for revision. So we have no idea how many of these cycles - if any - they will go through.

So the real answer to how this factors into the timeline is: we don't know.

--MM