[Internal-cg] ICG call

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Tue Feb 24 21:06:20 UTC 2015

I generally agree with what Jari says below and wanted to add in a few more thoughts.

I think it’s important to distinguish the time at which the proposal will be submitted to NTIA from the time at which the transition will take place. These are two different milestones. We have the RFP that asks the communities to produce proposals so that we can get them submitted to NTIA. If the CWG has questions about what belongs in the proposal or what criteria we will use to evaluate the component proposals, we should certainly elaborate on those points. But that elaboration is a separate matter from the decision to actually move forward with the transition. That decision rests with NTIA (and ICANN, as the contracted party), not with the ICG.

The CRISP proposal provides a good illustration of this. I think it would be perfectly reasonable for us to get to the end of our assessment process with the CRISP proposal incorporated as-is into the final transition proposal, and to submit the final proposal to NTIA (via the ICANN Board) even if the SLA and Review Committee described in the CRISP proposal have not yet been finalized (although of course it would be great if the RIRs make progress toward finalization between now and then). Whether the NTIA contract gets terminated before those two items are finalized is not a question for us to answer.

Alissa