[IOT] Discussion thread #2

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Tue Aug 23 16:06:10 UTC 2016

We have to have a standard that provides a reasonable opportunity for redress without totally paralyzing ICANN and/or materially harming other affected parties.  The CCWG Final Report states that they must file within a specified period [TBD – we propose 45 days] after becoming “aware of the alleged violation and how it allegedly affects them.”  I do not think that the latter phrase can possibly be read to allow someone who is fully aware of an ICANN action to file an IRP complaint 2 years after the action because they have belatedly become aware that it might prevent them from doing something they want to do.  The suggestion of 24 months strikes me as way too long, particularly where IRPs often involve disputes that affect the rights of others (e.g., disputes about which of two contesting applicants should be allowed to operate a particular new gTLD).  In that case, the 45 day limitation should apply, and the losing applicant shouldn’t have a case 2 years later because they just learned of a new way in which they are affected.

On Malcolm’s case regarding a policy purporting to regulate content, I think the situation is a little bit different.  Any policy that actually regulates content on its face is going to be ultra vires, and I think we can expect either a community challenge or an affected registrant to come forward rather quickly to challenge that policy.  On the other hand, if ICANN begins interpreting an existing content neutral policy in a manner that regulates content, then it seems to me that each instance of enforcement is going to be a separate action in violation of the bylaws, and so once again, the 45 days ought to be enough for an individual registrant.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz>