[IOT] IRP IoT message post-ICANN57

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Mon Nov 21 22:28:11 UTC 2016

Thanks Malcolm.

FWIW, I think there is a parsing problem, not a fundamental disconnect
here.

"A CLAIMANT shall file a written statement of a DISPUTE with the ICDR no
more than 45 days after a CLAIMANT becomes aware of the
material affect of the action or inaction giving rise to the DISPUTE;
provided, however, that a statement of a DISPUTE may not be filed more
than twelve (12)
months from the date of such action or inaction.²

I think this means that the 45 day period runs from the time ICANN
interprets or applies a policy in a way that violates the bylaws and
materially affects a specific individual/entity - but ONLY with respect to
that individual/entity, only with respect that that particular application
of the policy.  This has no relation to 45 days from the time the policy
is adopted - because no one can be materially affected until the policy is
applied.  The ³action or inaction² that gives rise to the dispute can¹t
actually occur until the policy is applied in a manner inconsistent with
the Bylaws that materially affects someone, giving them standing.  And
every time ICANN applies the policy in violation of the bylaws, the 45 day
period runs anew with respect to the specific individual/entity.  And, in
the event that the policy is applied to an individual/entity in a manner
that violates the bylaws, but the individual/entity doesn¹t become aware
that he/she/it has been materially affected, he/she/it has a full year to
file.

My point is just to remind folks that the period only commences with
respect to a specific individual/entity when a policy is applied to that
individual/entity in a manner that violates the bylaws.  It does NOT
create a bar on any one else who is subsequently materially affected by an
interpretation/application of a policy in violation of ICANN¹s bylaws.

I understand that the 45 days may strike people as too short a time -
that¹s a separate matter worthy of discussion.  On that point, I would
just note that entering into CEP tolls the 45 day deadline.  Which is why
IRPs are routinely filed many months an individual/entity has actually
been materially affected by an ICANN action/inaction.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy
General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz
<http://www.neustar.biz>