[IOT] Standing Panel issues [renamed forwarded mail]

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Wed Dec 6 21:21:26 UTC 2017

Dear members of the IRP IOT,

If time permits on tomorrow's call, let's get back into the issues surrounding service on the Standing Panel. We have already discussed much of this, but we have not closed the discussions.

We segmented the comments into two areas - one on panelists' possible conflicts of interest and the other on panelists' renewal of terms of service.

My email of May 3rd summarizes much of this - it is forwarded below.

It essentially recommends that on conflict of interest we adopt a portion of the International Bar Association Guidelines, tailored to IRP, to add this language to the rules:

Every arbitrator shall be impartial and independent of the parties at the time of accepting an appointment to serve and shall remain so until the final decision has been rendered or the proceedings have otherwise finally terminated.

I like Malcolm's suggestion in his May 18 email <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/iot/2017-May/000238.html> of a five-year term, automatically renewed for a second five year term if the panelist should apply for renewal, and not renewable any further.

But let's pick these up and finish them off - if not enough time tomorrow then on list and next call.

Best regards,

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154