[IOT] Second reading June 12 on 'Joinder' issues

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Mon Jun 5 13:40:17 UTC 2017

Dear members of the IRP IOT,

The purpose of this mail is to inform you, particularly those who do not regularly attend the teleconference calls, that at a recent meeting we gave a first reading to an outcome on "Joinder" issues, and to notify you that we have a second reading scheduled for June 12th (conference call at 19:00 UTC).

Our agreed approach at first reading deals with joinder issues concerning entities that participated in in an underlying proceeding (process-specific expert panel) as contemplated in Bylaw Section 4.3(b)(iii)(A)(3).

Our approach was agreed at first reading following consideration of various public comments received from the first draft public comment period.

Here is what we agreed at first reading:

1.      That all those who participated in the underlying proceeding as a "party" receive notice from a claimant (in IRPs under Bylaw section 4.3(b)(iii)(A)(3)) of the full Notice of IRP and Request for IRP (including copies of all related, filed documents) contemporaneously with the claimant serving those documents on ICANN.

2.      That all such parties have a right to intervene in the IRP. How that right shall be exercised shall be up to the PROCEDURES OFFICER, who may allow such intervention through granting IRP-party status or by allowing such party(ies) to file amicus brief(s), as the PROCEDURES OFFICER determines in his/her discretion. No interim relief or settlement of the IRP can be made without allowing those given amicus status as a matter of right as described herein a chance to file an amicus brief on the requested relief or terms of settlement.

3.      In reviewing such applications, and without limitation to other obligations under the bylaws, the PROCEDURES OFFICER shall endeavor to adhere to the provisions of Bylaw section 4.3(s) to the extent possible while maintaining fundamental fairness.

If you wish to object to second reading being given please speak up now on list, and/or at the next call on June 12th at 19:00 UTC.

Best Regards,

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154