[IOT] possible compromise idea on timing "repose" issue

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 18:48:00 UTC 2017

May I suggest that some concrete scenarios (a/k/a "stress tests") might
help illustrate how the different suggestions would work in practice, and
how the concerns will manifest themselves as a result of adoption of one
suggestion or the other?

I would also caution against parallels between a breach of fiduciary duty
and an action or omission that arguably violates the Bylaws.  The latter is
a fundamental question of whether an action or inaction was within the
power of the corporation (i.e., did not violate the Bylaws) or was not
within the power of the corporation (i.e., did violate the Bylaws).  If the
harm from that Bylaws violation is not incurred by a potential complainant
until 7 years after the action, why should an action be time-barred?  I
would argue that what you have is a continuing breach, and thus the clock
never starts, much less runs out.

I have more sympathy for repose in the form of laches (i.e., sitting on a
claim that has ripened and could be brought, and is known or should
reasonably be known to the potential complainant).  I have even mores
sympathy if the harm from that claim is not ongoing, and is thus receding
in time.  An ongoing harm raises more difficult questions, even if the
complainant knows or reasonably should have known that a claim had ripened.

But I can't must much sympathy for the concept of repose where a
complainant was either not harmed until some years later, or where actual
or constructive knowledge did not happen.  What that "repose" does is
essentially ratify an act or omission that is at least arguably outside the
power of the corporation.  I recognize that many of these situations are
going to be judgment calls, but that is true regardless of the timing.  And
in any event, that is why we have panels and hearings.

If we do need absolute repose at some time, I suggest we use the Rule
Against Perpetuities as our model (if memory serves, 21 years after the
death of the last pertinent person then living).

Greg

Greg

Greg