[IOT] [Ext] Re: IOT - Transition proposal for repose issue

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Thu Jun 7 18:27:11 UTC 2018

Hi Malcolm -

To your question, I think that the IOT could consider how long that period should be after the final procedures are in force that someone can file their IRP if they are impacted by this repose issue.  I don't presume to dictate what that time is, but I don't think it would make sense for it to be any longer than 120 days.

To bring this into an example:

Assume the interim procedures go into force on 1 July 2018 and the final procedures go into force on 1 January 2019 with no repose timeframe.

During that 1 July 2018 - 31 Dec 2018 timeframe, a potential claimant has their 120 day time frame expire from when they learn of harm caused by an act of ICANN from an act two years ago.  As of 1 January 2019, they will have [120? fewer?] days within which to bring their IRP based on the harm caused by that act. They will still have to demonstrate all the other required elements of why their claim is timely in order to maintain their claim (such as documentation of when the 120 days started, the reasonableness of why they learned of harm at that time, whatever else winds up in the final rule).

Hope this helps.

Sam

____
Samantha Eisner