[IOT] Important Update

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Wed Mar 6 11:56:14 UTC 2019

Dear members of the IRP IOT,

As you know, we met<https://community.icann.org/display/IRPIOTI/IOT+Meeting+%2345+%7C+13+December+2018+@+19%3A00+UTC> in December to discuss the challenge to ICANN staff participation as a co-equal participant in the IOT. And as you will recall, there was a split among us on the merits of the challenge.

In my view, a challenge to the nature of participation of ICANN staff in the IOT is best resolved by ICANN in consultation with SOs and ACs.

As a consequence, I suggest that we forward this issue to ICANN Org, with a copy to SO and AC leaders, as per the proposed letter below.

In my personal view, the call we had in December and related emails have created a fair record for consideration.

I am interested in your feedback and request that any such feedback be posted on list as quickly as you can.

Many thanks

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154

DRAFT LETTER FROM IOT TO:

ICANN Org CEO, Göran Marby

WITH COPY TO:

ICANN Board Chair; SO/AC leaders

Dear Göran, and SO and AC leaders:

I am writing to you in my capacity as lead of the IRP Implementation Oversight Team<https://community.icann.org/display/IRPIOTI/Independent+Review+Process+-+Implementation+Oversight+Team+%28IRP-IOT%29+Home>.

The IRP-IOT was originally established by the CCWG-Accountability and then was 'adopted' as such by the ICANN Bylaws in October, 2016, as per the provisions of Bylaw Section 4.3(n). In particular, Section 4.3(n)(i) provides in part:

An IRP Implementation Oversight Team shall be established in consultation with the Supporting Organizations and Advisory Committees and comprised of members of the global Internet community. ...

We have been working on the development of Supplementary Procedures for IRP. The Board adopted the Interim Supplementary Procedures proposed by the IRP-IOT in October, 2018.

We have more work to do under Bylaw Section 4.3, including the finalization of the Supplementary Procedures. However, one of our members has lodged a formal challenge to the participation within the IOT by ICANN staff as a co-equal participant. This challenge can be seen in this email: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/iot/2018-December/000472.html.  In addition, the challenge was discussed at our IRP-IOT meeting<https://community.icann.org/display/IRPIOTI/IOT+Meeting+%2345+%7C+13+December+2018+@+19%3A00+UTC> of December 13th, 2018.

The IOT has considered and agreed that a challenge of this nature may best be resolved by ICANN in consultation with the SOs and ACs.  Therefore, we request that this challenge be considered by ICANN in consultations with SOs and ACs and a resolution be notified to us so that we can proceed with our work.

The IOT has one additional request to make of ICANN.  The IOT has also discussed and agreed that we would benefit by having more members who would be willing to help in this important work. This, too, is a matter for ICANN to manage in consultation with SOs and ACs under the same bylaw provision. This may be an opportune time to take steps toward that end, so please let me know if the IOT can assist in this process.