[IOT] FW: Use Case on Time for Filing IRP with an Outer Limit

McAuley, David dmcauley at Verisign.com
Tue Apr 13 13:07:17 UTC 2021

Somehow the IOT was dropped from ‘reply all’ on my email below

David

From: McAuley, David
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:48 AM
To: 'Samantha.Eisner at icann.org' <Samantha.Eisner at icann.org>; 'susan.payne at comlaude.com' <susan.payne at comlaude.com>; 'elizabeth.le at icann.org' <elizabeth.le at icann.org>
Subject: RE: [IOT] Use Case on Time for Filing IRP with an Outer Limit

Thanks, Sam.

I have a few questions – wanting to ensure I fully grasp the points you are making. The questions assume there is a two-year limitation that is the subject of this debate:

1.      If Edutania pleads the IRP solely on the basis of the recent introduction into Ruritania, but it then went on to alternatively argue that the original policy from years ago was ultra vires, are you saying the panel can rule that the original policy is ultra vires? Would the board have to consider that ruling? Or would that part of the ruling be dictum or otherwise not considerable?

2.      What if the panel had heard a timely challenge to the original policy and decided it was not ultra vires – how would that ruling affect the Edutania case?

3.      What if two years passed from the original policy and there had been no claims and thus no IRP ruling – would a ‘precedent’ of sorts nonetheless have been established that the policy was no longer challengeable?

Thanks again, Sam, for your email.

Sr International Policy & Business Development Manager

Verisign Inc.

703-948-4154