[IPC-GNSO] Fwd: [Soac-infoalert] ICANN Statement Regarding IANA Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) - ICANN

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:51:23 UTC 2015

ICANN has not proposed a particular third party.  The CRISP Team,
representing the numbers community, has proposed the IETF Trust.  The
IANAPLAN Team, representing the protocol parameters community (aka the
IETF), was silent on the IANA trademarks; when asked by the ICG whether
they objected to the CRISP plan, they indicated they did not object, and
that they were willing to have the IETF Trust serve in that role.  It's not
clear to me whether or to what extent either Team consulted trademark
counsel or understood the ramifications of this proposal.

The CWG has not taken a position.  A rough consensus seems to be emerging
that some third party (not necessarily the IETF Trust) would be acceptable,
if appropriate accountability measures were put in place (i.e., that the
third party would be accountable to the 3 operational communities).  This
is still an active discussion in the CWG.  Many are pushing for it to be
the IETF Trust.  I am trying to get people to focus on the substantive
concerns, with quality control chief among them (and policing and
enforcement, default and termination powers not far behind).

Greg