[IPC-GNSO] Lori Schulman Acceptance of Nomination for IPC Treasurer 2016-2017

Lori Schulman lschulman at inta.org
Wed Sep 21 17:24:29 UTC 2016

Dear IPC Secretary and Colleagues,

I am pleased to accept the nomination for the Office of Treasurer.

I am currently Treasurer of the IPC.
I also represent the IPC on the GNSO Review Working Group

In addition to the GNSO Working Group, I am a member of the INGO-IGO Curative Rights WG, the INGO-IGO Identifiers Protection IRT and the RPM Working Group.  I am also Rapporteur for the Work Stream 2 - Guidelines for Good Faith Conduct for Board Removal sub team.  Along with being steeped in ICANN policy, I also follow UN sponsored Internet governance initiatives including the WSIS and the IGF. I was among the first class of nominees representing the private sector as a high level facilitator for the WSIS in Geneva last May.  During this year as  IPC Treasurer, I was a key member of the leadership team to establish electronic invoicing and record keeping.  I am also in the process of establishing clear, consistent and accessible electronic records for all IPC revenue and expenditures so that the function of the Treasurer can continue with minimal disruption.   I coordinated the drafting team for the IPC Comments on the ICANN budget and identified the critical issue of ICANN's severely underfunded reserves. I would like to establish a permanent IPC budget committee to follow ICANN's budget process throughout the year and to continue to develop good budgeting and bookkeeping procedures for the IPC.  I think this is critical as we head into Work Stream 2 with a continued emphasis on stakeholder accountability as well as board and staff accountability.

In my "day job", I serve as Senior Director of Internet Policy for INTA where I advise on Internet policy matters relating to ICANN and Internet governance in general.  I also serve as staff liaison to the INTA Internet and Data Protection Committees.  I coordinate INTA's comments and participation in ICANN meetings.     Prior to joining INTA as a staff member,  I was an active volunteer for 18 years.  My INTA volunteer activities included serving as a member of the Board of Directors, Chair of the Audit Committee, Chair of the Nonprofit Outreach and Networking Project Team and on a variety of committees and project teams.  I have a broad range of experience in trademark, Internet and general corporate and nonprofit practice.  I have managed the trademark and domain portfolios of Fortune 100 companies and major nonprofit organizations and am a seasoned nonprofit executive.  I started my career as an Attorney/Advisor for the U.S. Trademark Office and more recently, until joining INTA, served as General Counsel to a large, nonprofit organization.  I am a graduate of Tufts University and George Mason University School of Law now known as the Antonin Scalia Law School.

I consider myself and all IPC members as ambassadors for an often misunderstood area of consumer protection within the domain name system.  I am happy to serve as an IPC officer for another year.

Lori Schulman
Senior Director, Internet Policy
International Trademark Association
1250 Connecticut Avenue, Suite 200
Washington DC, USA
+1-202-704-0408, skype: lsschulman
www.inta.org<http://www.inta.org/>

Find us on: [Description: Description: Description: cid:F361C18F-02FE-4CF0-A43E-AA8566DC2514]  Twitter<https://twitter.com/INTA>  [Description: Description: LinkedIn]  LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/groupInvitation?groupID=69899>  [Description: Description: facebook-logo (2)]  Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/GoINTA?ref=ts>