[ispcp] ISPCP Statement on Adoption of the Current Strategic Plan -- FOR COMMENT

Mark McFadden mcf at uwm.edu
Tue Jul 12 09:03:47 UTC 2005

The ISPCP Constituency urges the ICANN Board not to ratify, adopt, or approve
the current Strateigc Plan in its current form.

The current Strategic Plan simply does not have the consensus of the ICANN
Community.  Ratifying the Strategic Plan would confer an stamp of authority on
the plan that is inappropriate.  It would also codify strategic goals which do
not have the consensus buy-in of the ICANN community.

Instead, the ISPCP community thinks the current Strategic Plan should remain as
a guide and historically significant document for ICANN's work until a
Strategic Plan emerges from the revised planning process underway this week.

Some have suggested that the current Strategic Plan is needed as a defense
against organizations who might be inclined to suggest that ICANN has no plan
or vision for the future.  We do not agree.  ICANN has an operational plan that
takes us through the next year that defines, very clearly, short-term goals for
the organization.  In addition, an open and participative planning process is
currently beging developed for the next planning cycle.

The ISPCP constituency remains committed to the strategic planning process and
many of our members have participated in this week's group planning process.
However, adopting the current version of the Strategic Plan would be a
significant retreat from the basic principle of consensus development of policy
and plans for our organization.  We urge all members of the board to not
formally adopt or ratify the current Strategic Plan.
--
Mark McFadden
Internet and Security Programs
e: mcf at uwm.edu