[ispcp] Comments on Vertigal Integration

MARUYAMA Naomasa maruyama at nic.ad.jp
Sun Aug 8 02:51:43 UTC 2010

Dear Tony,

Thank you very much for your draft.

I agree with the "Key Principles Developed by the VI Working Group”
with one reserve: that is, the point 3 should be explored in another
PDP, not in the VI Working group.

3. The concept of Single Registrant, Single User TLDs should be explored further.

This issue, and more generally, what we call "proprietary TLD" issue
is a really big theme which might change the Internet dramatically, so
that ICANN should make a separate policy decision.  I really hate this
major issue treated behind another policy issue.  If this issue is
treated behind another policy issue further, I have to say that style
of discussion a "material breach of process".

In the way of seeking a short term solution of VI-issue, that is, a
solution for the next New gTLD round, SRSU issue should be put aside,
because SRSU is out of scope of the current New gTLD process, which
we(JPNIC) pointed out in

http://forum.icann.org/lists/4gtld-guide/msg00042.html.

Here I would like to add that putting aside the SRSU issue will be
very beneficial for all of us, because the ongoing VI discussion will
become simpler and we can expect less delay for the New gTLD
process. (I sometimes suspect someone is intentionally bringing the
SRSU issue in order to delay the current New gTLD process.)

For a long term solution, the VI-WG has to wait until another PDP
gives a clear decision for the SRSU issue.

I hope you will take my point and incorporate in our comment.

Regards,

Masa.

>From: "Anthony Harris" <harris at cabase.org.ar>
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 14:49:39 -0300

>Dear colleagues,
>
>During our Constituency call on Tuesday, it was resolved that
>I would prepare a draft text for submitting our comments on the
>Vertical Integration Report that was recently submitted to ICANN
>by the VI Working Group. You can view the report using this link:
>
>http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-23jul10-en.htm
>
>If anyone has comments, objections, additions, etc. for the attached
>draft, please respond no later than close of business day August 9th.
>
>Regards
>
>Tony Harris

----
(Mr.) NaoMASA Maruyama