[ispcp] comments please: a drawing for our comment on policy vs. implementation

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Tue Feb 26 16:38:49 UTC 2013

hi all,

i'm drafting our reply-comments to the Policy vs Implementation working paper.  as i've read the other comments, i have started to come to the position that we may be trying to over-legistlate this.  my basic idea is this -- rather that a huge effort to develop detailed criteria for each possible Policy vs Implementation decision, what if we put a review by the AC/SO's into the process?

so i've drawn a flow diagram of a possible way to handle the process and would be very interested in your thoughts.  the two changes to the process implied by Marika's drawing are:

- insert the AC/SOs in the decision-making process

- indicate that the process of review is iterative -- that AC/SOs get to send the decision back to the staff for review/refinement

i think this does a few things

- it's an appropriate task for AC/SOs, in their policy-management role

- it reduces the need for excruciating detail in criteria and (correctly, in my view) increases reliance on the judgement and wisdom of the policy-management bodies

- provides a chance to iteratively arrive at an approach that has broad approval and acceptance in the community.

the picture is attached.  any thoughts?  slashing criticism ("Mikey you're crazy") is fine!

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)