[ispcp] Draft: statement in support of Thick Whois WG recommendation

Tony Holmes tonyarholmes at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 25 19:47:07 UTC 2013

Thanks MIkey - looks good to me.

Tony

From: owner-ispcp at gnso.icann.org [mailto:owner-ispcp at gnso.icann.org] On
Behalf Of Mike O'Connor
Sent: 25 July 2013 17:04
To: <ispcp at icann.org>
Subject: [ispcp] Draft: statement in support of Thick Whois WG
recommendation

hi all,

i rummaged through some of our earlier comments on Whois and found this
little snippet from our 2005 comment on the Whois Staff Report that seemed
like a good lead-in to our support of the recommendation of the Thick Whois
WG work.  so here's a proposed draft comment for your collective
review/edit/approval.

mikey

- - - -

As noted in previous statements, ISPCP members rely on Whois data in a
variety of ways:

1. to research and verify domain registrants that could vicariously cause
liability for ISPs because of illegal, deceptive or infringing content.

2. to prevent or detect sources of security attacks of their networks and
servers

3. to identify sources of consumer fraud, spam and denial of service attacks
and incidents

4. to effectuate UDRP proceedings

5. to support technical operations of ISPs or network administrators

The ISPCP believes that requiring a consistent technical model across all
TLDs advances our ability to use Whois in all these ways and strongly
supports the recommendation by the Thick Whois Working Group to require the
use of Thick Whois across all gTLD registries.

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE:
OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)