[ispcp] New gTLD launches: registrar coverage at less than 40% of the market

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Wed Jan 8 13:09:33 UTC 2014

hi all,

here’s the article where i found the link to the ECO study.  here’s the link

	http://domainincite.com/15499-new-gtld-launches-registrar-coverage-at-less-than-40-of-the-market

here’s the lede:

Registrars representing less than 40% of the gTLD market are ready to offer new gTLDs during their launch phases, according to the  latest stats from ICANN.

ICANN released yesterday a list (pdf) of the just 21 registrars that have signed the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement and have been certified by IBM to use the Trademark Clearinghouse database.

and here’s my observation…

the “uptake” of the 2013 RAA seems pretty slow to me — Godaddy is really the only major registrar in that group right now.  this may have interesting implications for those of us who are dealing with the downstream/knock-on effects of the new gTLD program.  i’m not sure what those effects will be — but my naive observation is that this is a lot like introducing 1400 new kinds of snack food and only having a few stores sign up to sell them.

the ECO study supports this trend, and notes that a large percentage of those registrars surveyed are planning to increase their coverage of *existing* TLDs.

mikey

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)