[ispcp] another view of "balkanization" and "friction"

Mike O'Connor mike at haven2.com
Sat Jan 25 13:00:21 UTC 2014

hm.  one day later, this interesting critique came out.  here’s a little taste:

… "But we should not despair. The way forward is to recover and nurture a different dimension to the much-feared Balkanization. So yes, there's a third way. Balkanization – a concept hijacked by technology firms on both sides of the Atlantic to push for their own business agendas – can also mean something very different and more upbeat: decentralization of information infrastructure combined with the erection of a few occasional barriers to what would otherwise be perfectly frictionless movement of data. Silicon Valley hates friction – in the 1990s Bill Gates sang gospels to “frictionless capitalism” and, more recently, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg lauded “frictionless sharing” – but should we not inquire as to how much frictionlessness a democratic system can withhold?”

and here’s a link to the post:

	http://blogs.sueddeutsche.de/feuilletonist/2014/01/20/the-world-is-noth-enough-how-to-reinvent-the-internet/

PHONE: 651-647-6109, FAX: 866-280-2356, WEB: www.haven2.com, HANDLE: OConnorStP (ID for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)