[ispcp] WG: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] ICANN61 Still Slated for Puerto Rico - ICANN

wolf-ulrich.knoben at t-online.de wolf-ulrich.knoben at t-online.de
Sat Oct 7 19:58:41 UTC 2017

 FYI

Best regards

Wolf-Ulrich

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Von: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org <mailto:david.olive at icann.org> >
Betreff: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] ICANN61 Still Slated for Puerto Rico - ICANN
Datum: 07.10.2017, 04:12 Uhr
An: so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org <so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org
<mailto:so-ac-sg-cleaders at icann.org> >,
soac-leaders-icannmeeting-planning at icann.org <
soac-leaders-icannmeeting-planning at icann.org
<mailto:soac-leaders-icannmeeting-planning at icann.org> >

https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann61-still-slated-for-puerto-rico
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann61-still-slated-for-puerto-rico>

ICANN61 Still Slated for Puerto Rico
<https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann61-still-slated-for-puerto-rico#>

Author: Nick Tomasso, Vice President, Global Meeting Operations & Mana

It took less than 24 hours—one day—for Hurricane Maria to devastate Puerto
Rico and many of its neighbors, but it will take years for them to recover.
It is an understatement to say that for everyone affected, the journey back
to their once normal lives will be long, painful, and economically
challenging.

ICANN joins the rest of the world in extending heartfelt hopes that Puerto
Rico will experience a speedy recovery. We want to back up that sentiment
by publicly expressing our strong desire to keep ICANN61 in the Puerto
Rican capital of San Juan.

The public meeting is scheduled for 10-15 March 2018. Our sincere hope is
that by that time, recovery on the island will have advanced to the point
where our meeting can proceed as scheduled. It is one way that we can all
show meaningful economic support for this storm-battered U.S. territory.

We are working with our hosts to closely monitor the recovery efforts on
Puerto Rico, and will keep the ICANNcommunity apprised as the date of our
meeting draws nearer.

If it is determined that the recovery efforts don’t advance to the point
where San Juan can reasonably support a conference that will likely draw
several thousand, we will then look for an alternative location. At this
point however, that is neither our desire nor our intention.

Sent from my iPhone

David A. Olive
Senior Vice President
Policy Development Support