[ksk-change] Keeping two KSK keys long term

Tomofumi Okubo tomofumi.okubo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 17:41:13 UTC 2014

Hello Al,

If someone is able to sabotage your key management operation, you will have bigger issues before performing any cryptographic operations. It's a huge damage to the reputation/trust. I believe this is why you have very good protection and monitoring around your KMF.

Also, I personally love HSMs but unfortunately, I cannot fully trust them when it comes to key management. If someone gets hold of the HSM we don't know if there is a flaw or backdoor that allows the adversary to extract the key. This is why we implement compensating controls to prevent it from happening.

I'm paranoid to a point that I need to know where the key material resides and when they are used. But this is more from an information security practitioner's standpoint rather than an engineer.

Cheers,
Tomofumi