[ksk-change] Keeping two KSK keys long term

Bolivar, Al abolivar at verisign.com
Sat Oct 4 00:37:26 UTC 2014

Mike,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can certainly find out from the vendor. I will share that when I get the answer.

Have a good weekend.

Al

On Oct 3, 2014, at 12:11, Michael StJohns <msj at nthpermutation.com<mailto:msj at nthpermutation.com>> wrote:

On 10/2/2014 4:01 PM, Bolivar, Al wrote:

Mike,

SafeNet is working with IBM to come up with a FIPS 140 level 4 HSM.
I don't know what the current state of development is but do you think
it's worth asking them if they could incorporate a trusted path
authentication that has a bit more flexibility?

(Just for clarification are you talking FIP 140-2 level 4 or something in the "maybe soon to be published FIPS 140-4" standard?)

The idea of a more flexible authentication system is a good start.  But what I'm really thinking needs to happen is a system that supports expressing policy more like:

  *   A CA key that will only sign properly formatted X.509 certificates and ensures that the signed certificate has a unique serial number and has appropriate validity info, and infrastructure extensions (e.g. SKI extension, AKI extension, appropriate policy bits) - things that are normally enforced outside the HSM boundary these days.
  *   A wrapping key that can wrap and unwrap AES Key Wrap mode material where the material has its own set of attached policy bits (e.g. a secret key which can only be used for KDFs) and protect that unwrapped key appropriately.
  *   A signing key that will only sign a properly formatted DNSKEY RRSet and only if it sees that N other known keys have signed it.
  *   A system that ensures the data that the remote signers agreed could be signed is actually the data signed.
  *   A more comprehensive set of threshold key systems (e.g. Shamir's plus others) both for partial signatures and for information retrieval/escrow (think of taking Shoup's scheme that I mentioned and publish the public key - data could be encrypted using that key, but N of K private key holders would need to come together to retrieve that encrypted data -think further about that with respect to backup key generation)

I mentioned Javacard Connected as there's a lot of experience with similar things in smart cards.  I can't quite figure out why I can't buy an HSM that does what a smart card can be programmed to do.

Mike

The worst thing that could happen is they say no.

Thanks,

Al